Thursday, October 29, 2009

One Boat Sale Later...Part Two

Picking up where we left off in Part One...

The boat sat on Craiglist for quite a while. And by that I mean months. Months of paying for the storage of something that we never intended to use again. To say that the boat became the object of intense hate on my part would be correct.

We lowevered the price once. Showed it a few times. Lowered the price again. Showed it a few more times. Can I just say that as awesome as Craigslist is, sometimes the people drive me crazy! Don't ask us to meet you to show you the boat if you are not interested. Even more so, don't ask us to meet you to show you the boat if you have no intentions of showing up. Yes, that happened. No it did not make my day that much brighter.

After months of having the boat sit on Craigslist. After lowering the price and showing and posting new pictures, I was done. DONE! Brad sugguested donating it to a company called BoatAngel. You get nothing for the boat but they do allow you to write it off on your taxes. We decided that if the boat had not sold by the end of summer we would do it. Time to stop wasting money on the boat. When I told my Mom this she sugguested lowering the price again. This time to just half of what we were asking for then. I laughed and told her that it made no sense to sell a boat like this for that price. It would mean losing around $6000 from what Brad bought it for. Not including the money he dumped into it to fix it up when he'd bought it. Or the money we'd been paying to store it. Confused she asked me why I was willing to donate it, but not lower the price to at least try to make a little bit of money. Suddenly it sunk in that she was right, I guess she had the last laugh on that one.

We lowered the price one final time with just six weeks to go until our cut off date. This is where the fun began. Do you have any idea what kind of interest you get when you list a 28 ft Bayliner on Craigslist for only $2500? I received roughly twenty, count them twenty, emails within an hour. In that same amount of time Brad had already received about five phone calls. People were interested!

Two showings in, I found a buyer! A real live buyer. Someone who wanted the boat. We were getting rid of the boat! You know if only it were that easy.

We show up at the bank that our buyer, let's call him Steve, is financing the boat through with his wife. Only to be informed that because the title to the trailer isn't in Brad's name they can't process the paper work. Meaning we can't sell the boat.

You may remember that Brad wasn't even aware that he'd bought the trailer for a couple of weeks. Apparently my husband contacted the person that he bought the boat from after he realized it came with the trailer and the guy told him that the trailer wasn't even in his name. It was still in the guy that he bought it froms name. He'd told Brad to go ahead and leave it that way because the trailer registration didn't expire until 2011. This was in 2005, when Brad bought the boat. And you want to know what my husband did? He left it all alone. Meaning that the trailer was still registered to two owners before us and we couldn't sell the boat until we got it straightened out. Even better, guess how much these guys roughly saved doing this? Thirty dollars. THIRTY DOLLARS! That's it.

But wait it gets better. Brad hadn't saved the number of the guy that he'd bought the boat from, so we had no way to contact him. After searching the boat for any and all paperwork we came across the trailer's registration and it included a name and address of the guy who owned the trailer. The man who'd sold the boat to the guy Brad bought it from. Unfortunately when I tried to look the address up at, it no longer existed. We were able to find someone in the same city with the same name at a different address though.

Here's where I feel like a little bit of a stalker. You know those websites that offer to give your previous and current addresses and telephone numbers for a small fee? Well as a last resort, we went ahead and paid to find this guy's info. We just wanted to see if we could find a phone number to contact him about the trailer. Really. We were not stalking him. Although those websites are very creepy! We were able to match him up as the same guy when both addresses (the new and the one listed on the registration popped up). We'd found him!

As his phone number's were no longer in service, we were left with no other option but to make the hour drive there and the hour drive back. Meaning we were going to knock on a complete stranger's door and ask him to sign the registration for a boat trailer that he'd owned more that five years ago over to us. Sounds like fun right? Lucky for me, it wasn't my boat and my bad decisions so Brad got to make the walk up to a stranger's home to explain the situation. Even more lucky was that the guy was polite and normal and didn't even know the trailer was still in his name and he quickly signed it over to us.

I made the second trip to the DOL with our buyer thinking that we were just about done. WRONG!

The trailer had a registration but didn't have a title and in Washington state trailer's must be titled. Meaning that we had to take a trip out to State Patrol to have a vin number applied and have the trailer weighed. The trailer that was holding the boat. That created a bit of a problem as the boat is huge and not easy to move on and off of the trailer. An even bigger problem because the boat was winterized and would have to be turned on to be put into the water. Thus unwinterizing at the start of Fall. Making a grand total of zero sense.

I was told that if I could find the trailer weight than we'd be okay to leave the boat on the trailer for the whole process. Not so easy. Why would it be? EZLoader, the company who made the trailer, didn't keep records that far back. Swing and a miss. I was then told if I could find the weight of the boat then they would just subtract it. Sounded simple. But wait. Bayliner doesn't keep records that far back either. And a STRIKE! Brad was finally able to find a weight for the boat after searching the internet for hours. Home run!

We were ready. Kind of. I met our buyer at the boat, we pulled it out of storage (in his truck I should add, you know because the boat was too big for us to move!), and the tail lights on the trailer didn't work. An hour later Steve and his handy brother-in-law had fixed that problem and we were finally on our way to State Patrol.

Two hours later, Steve was the proud owner of a 28ft Bayliner! While I was the proud non-owner of a 28 ft Bayliner. I am so grateful that Steve and his wife were so willing to jump through hoops and wait the month that it took to actually get the boat transferred into their names and out of ours.

Here's to selling the boat. And Craigslist for making it happen. Even better here's to not having to pay to store something that you'll never use again. I hope Steve and his wife enjoy the damn thing!


Trish said...

Bless your heart! But I can honestly say that I know how you feel...except it was with a mortage and a house...not a boat.

We moved and had our home 4 sale for over 2 years, while paying rent on another house we were living in like to have killed us!

I lnow you must be on cloud 9 to have all that behind you!


Aleta said...

Wow. That is one HUGE boat. And it was in your backyard? Wow. Just. Wow.

And what a story to go along with it. I know about the dot the i's and crossing the t's with titles. It's a mess and one thing wrong can stop the works. I'm glad you finally got rid of it!!

Debbie said...

What a nightmare! I'm glad it is all over for you.

Yankee Girl said...

Holy cow! What a story. I was getting stressed out just reading about it!

Glad it's done. Imagine all of the new toys your husband can buy with the money you are saving from storing the boat!